Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm Not Crazy

No, he's not mine. Because I'm not crazy. This little fellow was bred by a friend of mine. She has been trying to give him to me, but I have been resisting. I don't feel ready to take on a puppy right now. I think that B still needs some time to be the puppy in the family. She's doing great, but we still have some work to do. (She ran in her second agility trial a few weeks ago and got 8 Q's in11 runs, by the way - with a Motocross event going on right next door, no less!)

As it turns out, the puppy that my friend keeps trying to give to me is the only puppy left in the litter who isn't spoken for. He's an Australian Shepherd- with a tail. My friend bred this litter for performance, and she feels strongly that dogs have tails for a reason, so she does not dock them.

If we wondered how B would do with a young puppy, we got our chance to find out - my friend went on vacation for 5 days and asked if we could puppy sit for her. She was clearly hoping that we would fall in love with him while she was gone and decide to keep him.



B has been absolutely amazing with the puppy, handicapping herself and being so tolerant. She lets the puppy get way with anything


Z watches all their antics but doesn't usually join in. Just watching those energetic youngsters seems t tire him out.



I have to admit, he's a cute little bugger. And very sweet, too. I feel guilty about not taking him, partly because I know what a generous offer my friend is making, and I'm so flattered that she wants to give me one of her puppies. And partly because this is a very nice puppy, from well bred, good performance lines.



And B seems to like him, although I suspect that she might not find him as fun once he gets bigger and stronger and more coordinated. He's already pretty darn full of himself.




I've caught myself thinking about it a few times... it would be nice to get a puppy that doesn't come with issues, for a change. A puppy with agility in his blood.

But it just doesn't feel right to me. In my heart, I know I'm just not ready for another dog. And in my heart, I feel that when I am ready for another dog, I'd like to give another rescue a chance.


So, we've had a blast with our little house guest, and I will treasure the fun times we had with him, but his breeder is getting back in town and is coming to pick him up tomorrow.


Because I'm not crazy.

14 comments:

The Thundering Herd said...

We believe you. Really.

JeanMac said...

Oh boy, he's tough to resist. What a great set of pictures.

daffy said...

The cutest little bugger I ever saw! :o)

KB said...

Only the strongest woman on earth could resist that cute little guy! I *never* have puppies who need homes stay at my house because I know exactly what would happen - regardless of how many dogs I already have.

It's wonderful to see how well socialized B is. In your photos, it looks like she enjoyed the little bugger as much as you did!

Isn't it amazing how such a young dog as B already knows to "self-handicap"?

Sam said...

You're a strong woman to be able to keep that pup in your house yet still say no. But I think you're doing the right thing - you will know when you're ready for another.

possumlady said...

Yes, like everyone else said, you are made of much stronger stuff than I!! All you need to do is look at all the cats I've taken in.

But yes, I agree, a rescued dog is really the right thing to do.

KGMom said...

Oh, my--I want him! But, I don't have agility in my genes! I fear he would run circles around me, my husband, my cats, and my dodg!
Please tell us where he ends up--he sure is cute. Make that gorgeous.

troutbirder said...

What fun. I do wish I could find a playmate for my Baron. The local farm dogs are all territory protective aggressive & and twisting and turning is not good for my big boys bad wheels. Still he needs another playmate besides the old and often tired one. Me.

NCmountainwoman said...

You are very wise. You will know when it's time. I admire you for following your convictions. The "easy" course of action would be to bring in the adorable puppy. But that's not a sufficient reason and it isn't fair to you or the puppy if the time isn't right. And who knows? Maybe the time will be right before this puppy is gone. But more likely not. Go with your heart and wait until you are ready.

It was so nice to see Z looking so well. And great photographs of the playful pups.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart said...

I was ready to scream out loud and be jealous. He looks like a real doll.

But if it feels too soon, then it's too soon.

Beth said...

I have to disagree about the rescue dog. That dog needs a home just as much as a rescue dog. All dogs need a good home, not just the ones with "issues". What will happen to this dog if he is not adopted? GO with your heart-a dog with or without issues-if you feel a pull toward this dog just let go and love him!!

ladyfi said...

Oh, that is an irresistible little face! Docking tails is not allowed in Sweden - so I'm definitely with your friend.

Rose said...

He is really cute but you shouldn't take him unless you are ready.

Lola Smiles said...

Totally understand. You know when it's right.

but man, he sure is cute little rascal!