Sunday, September 20, 2009

International Rock Flipping Day 2009


So, today is International Rock Flipping day, where bloggers across the globe are invited to go outside and flip over a rock or two, and photograph, sketch, or describe what they find underneath. For the second year in a row, I had planned to take the dogs down to the creek to flip some rocks and hopefully find something exciting to share. For the second year in a row, I failed. It was such a rainy, gloomy day - the kind of weather that just sucks all the life out of me, so I opted to stay closer to the house. This year I flipped a one of the rocks that forms the border to the flower beds in front of the house. And here is what I found:



Slugs. I flipped a few more rocks, but they all looked about the same, so I didn't bother to take pictures of the others. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that on a rainy, gloomy day at the end of a long, wet summer, all I can find under my rocks are slugs.




Lady Fi should be happy, I guess - she seems enamoured with slugs. Me, not so much. But hey, I guess it isn't much worse than the ants and the orange fuzzy thing I found last year. Perhaps next year I will make it to the creek or the beaver ponds on Rock Flipping Day 2010, and I will find some awesome salamanders, or crayfish, or even a snake. Until then, this is all the rock flipping news I have to report.



In other, non-rock flipping-related news, L and I are planning on hitting the road at the crack of dawn on Tuesday to head for 5 days of stiff competition at the NADAC Agility Championships. It sounds the like the days will be long and exhausting, so I'm not sure if I will have the energy to post updates on how we are doing. Frankly, I'm not sure if I will want to post updates on how we are doing. Going to Champs seemed like a much better idea when it was still several months away. Now that it is looming so large in front of me, I feel less excited, and more like I'm getting ready to take prelims, or go in for surgery, or something.



Last spring, I had grand plans for being well-prepared for competing at this level, but I have been plagued by knee problems all summer, and L has been so bothered by the wet ground, that we really have hardly practiced. We did get a few good practices this week during a little dry spell, just to make sure we are still on the same page for the most part, but I'm not feeling very confident going in. I asked L if he will still love me no matter how I perform, and I'm pretty sure his reply was something along the lines of, "quit yammering and give me that cheese, lady!" So, I think we're good. I just need to make sure to keep reminding myself that this is like any other agility trial - it is all about me and my dog having fun together, and nothing else really matters very much. Nothing else really matters very much.

8 comments:

giantspeckledchihuahua said...

ewwww!! Slugs are disgusting!!!
I won't be flipping any rocks around here... thats where you find scorpians!

Good luck at the Championships! I think you will be surprising yourself and do wonderfully!
Go, L!!!!

Mary Olson said...

Darn! I wish I'd known about the rock flippin thing!

Good luck with the agility competition. I think you said it best towards the end. Just have fun with it. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

LadyFi said...

Good luck at the championships. And yes - it's just about having fun!

Cool-looking slug! Not sure if I'm enamoured by them, but I sure am fascinated... ;-)

KB said...

I didn't even know about Internation Rock Flipping Day. It's just as well - I always feel guilty about the animals, lichens, and mosses who I disturb.

Good luck at Champs. You're right - just have fun! And give L that cheese already!

Roses and Lilacs said...

International Rock Flipping Day, that's a new one on me. I usually try not to look at the things under rocks;) Even so, I would have done it had I known;)

Good luck to you and L.
Marnie

NCmountainwoman said...

Good luck.

No use flipping anything here in the pouring rain.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart said...

I didn't flip any rocks either. I'd have to put a reminder in my calendar.

Good luck at the BIG event. Seems like all our agility pals are at some national event or other these days.

scienceguy288 said...

People need a day to flip rocks? I do it all the time!